NCKrawlers :: Forums :: General Forums :: General Discusion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Transplantk5: build thread
Moderators: Administrator, NC-Fordguy, KrawlinYJ
Author Post
TransplantK5
Wed Feb 15 2017, 11:56PM
Registered Member #680
New member here! Its casey guys finally got access to the website. Hoping to be able to start a build thread once we get picture posting sorted out.

I drive a 1986 k5 blazer that ive named Transplant due to the fact that shes built with parts from tons of different cars/trucks.

Most recently i installed a 31 spline spooled ford 9 with the help of a few fellow members in the club, street driving is still a joy even with the spool!!

Looking forward to putting more posts up as more work gets done.

Next projects for transplant are installing a rebuilt holley carb and building new square rockers.

1986 K5 Blazer 350/700R4-203/300, D44/9". 6" Lift with 35's.
KrawlinYJ
Thu Feb 16 2017, 06:21AM

Registered Member #664
Awesome dude! Glad you are able to post now, I'll talk to Ed and see about getting some picture privileges reestablished!

1990 Daihatsu Rocky 31x10.50x15 A/Ts, cranked torsion bars SOLD
1988 Jeep Wrangler 3 inch Body lift, 31x10.50x15, no fenders,all the flex
TransplantK5
Wed Mar 29 2017, 06:25PM
Registered Member #680
Hey guys back with and update on the build of the TransplantK5.

I haven't gotten to do to much real work as of late due to hydrolocking the engine during a carb swap from Edelbrock to Holley. luckily it appears that the only damage done was to my starter since it locked up while trying to start I sheared to cone head off my starter. That has since been replaced after pulling all the plugs to dump all the extra gas from the cylinders.

Even though I haven't been able to actually work on the blazer in the past couple weeks, due to trying to finish more important projects, it hasen't stopped me from dumping even more money into the pit. Once we get her tuned and back on the road it will be time to park her again to re-gear the front axle. The Dana 44 front will be getting chromoly shafts, new locking hubs, 4.88 gears, and a Detroit locker (was gonna be a lockrite locker but ED brainwashed my wallet). During or after that I will be installing my new soft top from Softtopper, witch means I will be converting over to a P/U tailgate since I'll no longer need the back glass (I'll save almost 150# swapping the top and gate).

The next thing after those couple projects will be my 4th seat swap. I will be swapping from my 2000 dodge bench seat over to LEATHER 6 WAY POWER seats out of a 2005 GMC envoy. Those seats are gonna be great (or as ED would say "Fancy"). The seats will sit a few inches lower than my current bench seat, letting me sit a little bit further down into the truck (almost exactly stock height). I will lose the ability to fold the seats forward quickly for access to the back seating area, but I rarely have passengers do I think I'll get over that. (they can just climb in through the soft top haha).

Now after completing all of that it'll be on the to project I am most excited about. I will be pulling the aluminum NP208 transfercase and replacing it with an NP203/300 doubler. This will allow me to effectively double(1.92:1) my low range of 2.62:1 in the Dana 300. This will give me a compounded low range of 5.03:1 in just the tranfer case. Combine that with the 1st gear of my 700r4 (3.06:1) and my axle ratio of 4.88:1, I will have a final crawl ratio of 75.1:1 "doubling" my crawl ratio of 39.12:1 from my current set up with the NP208. Then even after that I'll have the ability of installing 4:1 gears in the Dana 300 to raise my crawl ratio even further to 120:1.
It gets better though with the use of that NP203/300 doubler I will be using a triple stick set up. Meaning I'll have on stick to control the shifting of the NP203 to double my gearing, but I will have two sticks to shift the Dana 300. One stick shifts the front axle and one shifts the rear axle. This will allow me to use front wheel drive HI/LO and rear wheel drive HI/LO depending on the situation and what I need the truck to do.

I'm hoping to get all of this done before our wheeling trip near the end of May, but ill definitely be tight squeezing it in with all the other projects that need to be completed.

So stay tuned for my next update.
Hopefully I'll be tuning the carb tomorrow!!

KrawlinYJ
Wed Mar 29 2017, 07:21PM

Registered Member #664
Look at you and all your fancy numbers. Let's get cracking on it!

TransplantK5
Wed Mar 29 2017, 07:29PM
Registered Member #680
Man how does this already have over 100 views?!

appreciate it anyways haha.

But you got it man lets start tomorrow when you get off work, see how much we can finish!!

KrawlinYJ
Wed Mar 29 2017, 07:46PM

Registered Member #664
I won't be able to make it tomorrow. But we should be able to make something happen Friday!

TransplantK5
Sat Apr 15 2017, 04:28PM
Registered Member #680
Hey everyone I'm back with another update!!

So to start off we finally got the carb on Transplant tuned nicely (and by tuned I mean we got tired of messing with the carb that got rebuilt and threw a loaner Holley truck avenger on it). the Holley has been so much better than the Edelbrock I had on it before it completely eliminated the bog I used to have when I would floor the accelerator. After getting the Holley set up we started having issues with the T.V cable for the transmission, but we eventually got that back to where it needed to be and after a good test drive that reached speeds way over what you would expect a 30 year old truck to achieve I thought it was good to go.

So I started the 20 minute drive home from the shop and while coming to a stop at a light going maybe 10 MPH the drive shaft U-joints gave out and seemed to take my transfer case with them. After a little messing with the case trying to find a gear we finally managed to get the truck into 4HI to finish the drive home on the front axle. At this point the massive amount off sadness comes up due to the fact that in 5 weeks we will be leaving for our club trip to Uwharrie in May, so now we have to kick it into high gear to even have a chance of the blazer making it there.

The next day I decided I needed to get something done to make it feel like it wasn't as bad as it was so I went ahead and jumped into installing the new seats I had gotten a while back. It took about a day of work to get both of them in where I wanted them giving me plenty of room in the front but leaving it a bit challenging for anyone over 6 ft. or 220 pounds to get into the back seat, but I don't ride back there so it's not my problem. I really like the seats though with 6 way power and heated, they are extremely comfortable, the only thing left to do for them is to wire in the power.

After getting the seats put in I finally decided to face the transfer case to take a look and see if it really was gone. So I went ahead and drained the fluid that was in the case and after all the strawberry milkshake looking fluid was drained I ran my finger along the inside of the case and had a nice coat of metal shaving come out, but that's all I know without taking the case out and opening it up. So at this point the plan is to try to fit my doubler swap into the mix of projects to get done before our trip.

After finishing up with the transfer case at the moment I decided that it was as good a time as any to go ahead and install the soft top. The hardest part of that was trying top get the hard top off by myself since Cody didn't wanna help take it off, luckily I have nice neighbors and was able to get help lowering the top to the ground after struggling with it for 10 minutes. Installing the soft top went pretty smoothly with only a couple trips to Lowe's due to missing bolts and Cody breaking the replacement ones... Installing the weather strip for the top was the part I spent the most time on because i wanted to make sure I got that part right so that I wouldn't have any major leaks when it rained like the hardtop did. Once it was all said and done, I love the soft top the color (tan) goes great with the olive green paint on the truck. Big thanks to my wife Rebecca on picking out the color for the top I wasn't sure how it would look but I love it! Later that afternoon we got a little bit of rain and the seals seemed to hold up great I didn't see any leaks when I checked it the next day.

Then came the preparation for towing it back to the shop. getting her up on the trailer was a real pain due to how wide the blazer is it took a lot of work to make sure she wouldn't fall off the trailer, but with the great in encouragement of ED yelling at me we managed to get it up there safely.

That brings up to the end of this update she is now back to sitting at the shop waiting for the next opportunity to get worked on she is in line behind the Bronco and Jeep that are getting finished up. Then hopefully later this week I can get out there to start pulling out the transfer case, to get started on the race to finish before May 18th.

I also want to give a big thanks to NC-Fordguy, KrawlinYJ, and Ericsj for all the help they have given during this build.

[ Edited Sat Apr 15 2017, 04:34PM ]

TransplantK5
Sat Apr 29 2017, 06:04PM
Registered Member #680
Hey everyone back with another update, with some good news and some bad news.

So to start with the good news.

We got some good work done on the blazer in the past 2 weeks! The NP208 was pulled out of the blazer to start the installation of the doubler. Once we had that out we began working on the doubler itself by taking it apart and going through it to make sure all the parts were in good condition and up to the task of being run after it sat for 5ish years. Much to my surprise though both the NP203 and Dana 300 were in great shape so we got them back together and I put a coat of paint on them just to help keep the rust off. Once they were cleaned up and back together I began setting up the cable shifters. The build quality on the cable shifters I got is amazing, other than one of the mounting holes being drilled about a half inch off, but I can't be to mad for something that fits such a custom application.

During the day of messing with the doubler we also had time to remove the heavy blazer tailgate, and KrawlinYJ managed to get the front axle disassembled in preparation for the front axle re gear. The next day we had a day out at the Playground to have some new guys out to see what the club has to offer and even an old member came back out to have some fun. It was a great day watching every one get stuck in the mud even though i didn't have the blazer out there, I did manage to get plenty of pictures of all the fun that should be getting edited in the next couple of days and hopefully posted this weekend. While out a the playground I was able to pick up the "new" tailgate for the blazer, so all in all that was a good day.

The next day I was out working on the blazer until 0230 getting things cleaned up putting parts together to get them ready for install, but most of the time was spent putting tools away (and that takes forever). I did manage to get the new ring gear for the front axle installed onto the new Detroit locker before the night was over.

Then came this week, being my short weekend I only had 2 days to get as much done as I possibly could. The day started with more cleaning up from the previous days to have a clean slate for all the work getting ready to happen. Once NC Fordguy arrived the main goal became getting the doubler bolted in before the night was over. So we started with pulling out the old cross member and the adapter that had gone to the NP208. Then we drained some fluid from the transmission so we would be able to lower it enough for us to bolt everything together, and have room to get our hands over the top of the case. Then we got everything dried up and started test fitting the new spacer and the adapter for the NP203. While fitting it up we decided that we would rather use bolts to hold the spacer and adapter as opposed to the supplied studs that came with the spacer. That required a trip to Fastenal to get the bolts we were going to need. We got back with our new bolts and began test fitting the spacer and adapter once again and we learned that the bolts we had were still a little to long and didn't have enough thread on them to properly hold everything to the back of the transmission. So we started cutting new threads on the bolts and cutting them a little bit shorter so the would be the perfect fit. That's right we spent two hours making custom bolts!! After we got our custom bolts made and the spacer and adapter bolted up and properly sealed, it was time for a break while the RTV dried, so we took a trip out to the shop to drop off NC Fordguy's new transmission and doubler. Once we got back we reset and did a quick clean up to make sure everything we didn't need was out of the way, and started on the install of the NP203. We got it all bolted up and started to lift everything up to see how the fit was going to be, and that's when we discovered the first bit of bad news. We were going to have to cut a hole in the floor for us to get the drive line back up into the proper position. Cutting the floor was a problem to be dealt with later as our goal was to get everything up and bolted together so all the RTV could cure. So we lowered everything back down and got started with the install of the Dana 300. Getting the 300 up into position was a fairly simple task the challenging part was getting our hands up into tight places to put the bolts in, but we eventually succeeded in getting it bolted together and at this point we had accomplished what we set out to do that day the doubler was now installed in the blazer, setting up for the next task building a support system to keep all the new "fancy" things in the truck.

The next morning KrawlinYJ and I set out to get more work done. We got to the shop and started planing out what we were going to get done that day. we decided to start working on cleaning up the tailgate that was to go onto the blazer we started by bolting up all the hardware that needed for the tailgate to mount. We also went ahead and cleaned all the rust off the inside of the gate and put a good amount of bed liner on it to hopefully keep it in good shape. After we were done painting the inside of the tailgate we decided to go ahead and press in the U-joints for the new axle shaft for the front, and surprisingly that went extremely smoothly. then while waiting for NC Fordguy to show up we got bored and decided it was time to start cutting holes in the floor so that the drive line could be lifted into place. Once that was done we had to go out and get some metal so we could build the new cross member. once we got back I started working on hooking the shifters up inside the truck. after getting that done and getting them properly adjusted thanks to Ericsj laying under the truck and turning everything, NC Fordguy and I started putting the plan for the cross member in to action. This is when we learned the second bit of bad news the whole exhaust was going to need to be redone since it was routed right into the area where the new cross member was going to go and almost be in the way of the drive shaft, so now that will have to be addressed before we can get back on the road. we got the first section of the cross member built so that we can start measuring angles and getting it bolted into the frame. After we got the first portion of the cross member built it was about time to clean up for the night, but i knew we needed to clean out the frame rails so i began pulling out the 30 year old fuel lines that were no longer in use.

That's the end of this update. the Plan is to have the blazer back together by the end of next weekend. It is gonna be a busy week to get it all done!!

TransplantK5
Sat Jun 17 2017, 05:19PM
Registered Member #680
Hey everyone, back with another update!

Its been a while since my last one. The best part is we managed to get the blazer finished in time to take it on the trip to Uwharrie, and man that was awesome even with some of the new problems that came up while we were there.

The trip was the first test for Transplant since getting a new Carb, hydro-locking, and getting a new transfer case setup. It was also my first time doing the whole rock crawling bit, so I was learning how to do that while learning how to drive the truck we just built! The trip wouldn't have been complete without at least a couple problems, like finding a gas tank leak after filling it with 30 gallons of premium! I also had some shifting issues with the new transfer case setup, but found out later that a couple of the cables just needed a little more adjustment, so I wheeled it in 2:1 for the majority of the trip and man will she just go! Having the spool in the rear with the Detroit locker up front I never had any traction issues I was able to just point her the direction I wanted to go and the auto pilot kicked in and got me up and over the rocks in my path. So, even though I really didn't know what I was doing, Transplant had my back and made it look easy.

Then my second issue came up at the top of one hill I parked off the trail while other people came up and backed up an incline to steep and it flooded the engine luckily it didn't lock up, and Rebecca was able to get it started and we limped it back to camp and checked it out. We found that the secondaries were dumping gas into the Carb even at idle so we tried adjusting the float level to see if we could get it to stop pouring gas, that didn't work at all. So next I went ahead and pulled the secondary fuel bowl off and we checked to see if any thing was stuck in the needle seat keeping it from being able to close, we didn't actually find anything then but there had to have been something in there because once we put the bowl back on and fired it up the problem seemed to be gone. By this point though the was gas in the oil again so instead of taking her out for more fun at the risk of damaging anything, Transplant sat out the last day of wheeling.

Then when we got back from our trip the Transplant sat for a week or so till I had time to go out and look into some of the problems she had while out on the trail. This is when I found that the cable to shift the NP203 was a little out of adjustment, thus it would pop out of HI range, after adjusting that it was time for a test drive, and not once did it pop out of HI range after adjusting the cable. Next I looked into the fuel issue to see what fuel pressure I was running and found that the pressure was to high so I turned that down some. That problem seemed fixed..

That is till the next morning when it was time to go to the crawl on cancer event, I couldn't get her up over 45 without stalling so I turned around and got back to the shop to wait for a ride to the event.

The crawl on cancer was a fun thing for the most part. We spent most of our time hanging out near the RTI ramp watching people do that and drive over a couple wrecked cars, all in all it was a good day.

The next day I went out to look in to the new issue that came up the day before. My fuel pressure was to high, again.... so I got that turned back down and everything seems right again. This time I drive her home. There seems to be a weird shake when the torque converter locks up in overdrive, but only in overdrive, so that ruled out tire balance due to missing weights and mud. After doing some research I found that it was possible that would happen if I had a misfire, the converter being locked up would exaggerate the misfire, and guess who has an intermittent misfire..... That's right this guy. So, I decide to go ahead and check timing check all the plugs/wires, the ignition module in the distributor, and I even pulled the valve covers to check rocker arms and springs. I find that a couple of the header bolts are a tad loose so all of those get tightened down, check. Then I changed the ignition wiring in the distributor due to a broken clip on the plug, check. Pulled and put plug grease on both ends of every plug wire, check. We fire up the engine and it like a night and day difference to a couple days before the misfire seems to be gone and she seems to be in a better mood. We then hook up the timing light to go ahead and get it timed perfectly so that the real tuning of the Carb could be done, and its getting to much fuel pressure, AGAIN!! This time we didn't adjust it, I pulled the regulator off and went to get a new one, put the new one in and its still reading with a pressure way to high, so I pulled the fuel pump and switched it with another one rated for a much lower pressure, now after like six stops at the parts store the fuel pressure seems to be more stable at least for now. The next step is to get the #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke. Normally I get this done by turning the engine over manually while a buddy holds his thumb over the plug hole and turn the engine till the cylinder pressure pushes their thumb off, thus meaning we reached the compression stroke. Since it was 2330 when I was doing this, I didn't have any buddies to hold a thumb over the hole while I turned the engine over, and if you've tried to do both, it sucks. I found a better way to figure it out though, I took a shop towel and twisted the end up some and used it to plug the hole this became the thumb I needed so I just turned and turned until I heard the pop and it shot the towel out onto the ground, now I've found TDC on the compression stroke.

Next thing for me to do will be to pull the cap on my distributor and make sure my rotor and aligned with the number one plug on the cap, and I'll be ready to set the timing, hopefully I can do that tomorrow morning before meeting the guys to work on Eric's jeep.

As always I appreciate all the help I get from my friends and club members that stand out in the sun with me all day to get these things done.

See ya next time!!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF