NCKrawlers :: Forums :: NCK Tech Forums :: General Tech

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Rear end shops
Moderators: Administrator, NC-Fordguy, KrawlinYJ
Author Post
4x4safari
Mon Jan 03 2011, 12:50PM
Registered Member #336
Hi guys firstly a new member here and based in Greenville, the moral of the story is if you have a question about good rear end repair shops is ask the 4x4 guys they will know.

So here it is, who is the most reliable and most competent rear end rebuilding shop in the Greenville or surrounding area? Who would you trust to replace your ring and pinion set including bearings and setup the rear end for quiet operation?

My rear end started to whine around 45mph under acceleration and I need to have the ring and pinion gear replaced. I am very mechanically competent but without the proper tools and setting instruments I am not sure I want to the tackle this task myself. I would however like to buy my own parts and have a shop perform the work for me. I am asking for the expertise of the members of the group to provide some guidance, thanks in advance for you input.
CDTXJ97
Mon Jan 03 2011, 08:51PM
NCK Member
Registered Member #278
what are you driving it would prolly be cheaper ti replace than to rebuild you can find whole axle selling for cheap

97 XJ in pieces..
4x4safari
Mon Jan 03 2011, 11:23PM
Registered Member #336
thanks for the reply, I did first check replacements from local salvage yards but they are way to expensive mainly in the $1400. I am driving a 2004 Dodge RAM 1500 pick up with 9.25 rear axle with a 3.90 ratio. Parts for the job will run around $400 just unsure of the labor portion, I would do it myself just don't have the press and the measuring tools.
NC-Fordguy
Mon Jan 03 2011, 11:32PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2
Welcome to the site!!!

Are you sure the ring and pinion needs to be replaced?? Diff could be low on oil, U-joints could need to be replaced etc. Generally speaking if it's oem, they generally last nearly forever.

As CDtxj97 posted it maybe cheaper to replace the axle with a junkyard/craigslist/etc one. Also depending on the axle, sometimes they are simply not worth putting money into(dana 35, 10-bolt)

A r&p and install kit will run you around $300. 4-8 hours of labor, so your potential cost could be nearly a $1000. Junk yard axles can be found a whole lot cheaper.

If you decide to install a r&p some of us in the club might can help you out. I have the equipment in my shop to do it

No Hablos Jeep

If it doesn't make sense, do it
4x4safari
Tue Jan 04 2011, 08:10AM
Registered Member #336
Thanks again, I have been fighting with the whole its the r&p its not the r&p for some weeks, but after all the research i have done I find no evidence that its not the r&p. So let me provide the full story and see if you guys draw the same conclusion.

I purchased the vehicle about 6 months ago, the axle pinion seal had already been slinging oil and the tank was well coated. The oil was about 1 quart low so I am sure the gears where not being properly lubricated. i am also sure that guy i bought the truck from down played the amount of towing he did as well.
Anyways the first thing I did was replaced the pinion seal, did it myself and did not replace the crush washer. I marked the pinion nut and gave it about an 1/8 turn more which was above the 205 ft/lbs min torque required on the nut but not above the maximum drag on the pinion flange. The seal has held out for about 5 months but now is showing signs of weeping oil again. I also opened the pumkin and drained the oil it was terrible, looked like a water oil emulsion. I checked for metal pieces and found none, i looked for any weird teeth wear markings and found none. Closed it up and filled it with Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. I do not have the limited slip version o fthe axle so no additive was required. Thats what I have done to date now for the symtoms I am seeing.

When accelerating normaly from stand still to 40mph there is no evidence of any noise, howling, from the rear end. The howl starts at 40mph and runs through to 50mph, under heavy acceleration it is damped down by the high torque on the pinion. Under very light acceleration the rear end howls load enough to be annoying, i have to turn the radio up to 20 to drown it out. There is no howling when decelerating, there is also no howling when coasting in nuetral in the 40 - 50mph speed range. Above 50mph the howling drowns away and is not noticeable. No other symptoms are noticeable, while driving no clicking while turning. I do notice on rare occasions that when shifting from REV to DRIVE there will be a small clunk in the driveline, but this could be from excessive backlash caused by the wear in the gears.

Sorry for the long story, but I really want a second opinion. i am also struggling with the fact that i have owned numerous trucks and this is the first one I have ever had that may need rear end work, the gears simply do not wear out as you have indicated. I would appreciate any assistance you guys can provide, and Fordguy I am very eager to do this myself and save the money, just cant justify the 12 ton press, dial indicator and special tools for setting backlash. If I had access to these i would consider it. i have a home made pinion holdinh tool that work well and air tools at home. Thanks again for the help guys.
CDTXJ97
Wed Jan 05 2011, 06:23PM
NCK Member
Registered Member #278
foss ad a ton of them a few months ago unsure of the ratio
they were 120 bucks if you pulled it but i dont know if the prices have change now thats it lkq pull a part

97 XJ in pieces..
NC-Fordguy
Wed Jan 05 2011, 10:02PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2
Perhaps you'd like to come out to the next club meeting and we can take a look.....

As far as the tools....your welcome to bring it over and use my tools and I can lend you a hand

You'd likely have to do it at the shop doors as my shop right now is full of projects

No Hablos Jeep

If it doesn't make sense, do it
rockcity
Sat Jan 22 2011, 10:11PM

Registered Member #21
That rear axle is really cheap. I would suggest looking around. Check out the 4x4 forums. I thought I saw a complete one the other week for less than $300

www.ECORS.com
4x4safari
Sun Jan 23 2011, 03:19PM
Registered Member #336
rock i am hoping to find one for $300 please pm or post here if you find one. The cheapest axle I have found so far was one up in Salisbury they wanted $1000 for it. I check Craiglists and most of the Dodge forums daily have not seen one for less than $1000 yet but still hoping there is a chance I can find one that cheap.
rockcity
Mon Jan 24 2011, 05:26PM

Registered Member #21
Ironically, Xtreme 4x4 on Spike this weekend was discussing the chrysler 9.25 rear axle.

What ratio do you have? ABS?

www.ECORS.com

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF