NCKrawlers :: Forums :: NCK Tech Forums :: Pimp my 4x4

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Jedi Buggy
Moderators: Administrator, NC-Fordguy, KrawlinYJ
Author Post
Hadfield4wd
Tue Feb 24 2009, 02:30PM

Registered Member #43
Most likely premature, but here it is. I’m building a buggy for my boys. 7 and 10 years old. Got the idea from the Honda Powered Kid buggy (No surprise there)

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633445&highlight=honda+powered+kid+buggy

We’re calling it the Jedi Buggy because the boys are Star Wars crazy.

I am doing it differently and trying to do it less expensively. I wanted it to be simpler as well. No cooling, computers etc.

So the basic specs.

Sammy axles welded
Leaf sprung 2 long leaves from the sammy pack
2 seater
Polaris tranny and cvt
20 hp Kohler motor on propane, electric start
Full hydro steering using SE ram and MR2 12v power steering pump
31” MT tires
Manual brakes with floor mounted adjustable pedals
Adjustable 5 points and window nets

I have had a lot of help in this as far as tech help and free parts. Coily, Drake, Randy and Jim. There are others as well.

The main frame is out of 2x2.

Here I am with the 7 yr old laying out and building the frame.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Got a little smokey in the garage

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Tue Feb 24 2009, 02:31PM

Registered Member #43
Next we disassembled the axles and welded the side gears like the sammy guys call a “Fozzy Locker”

So we took the axles apart to weld the diff. I hate to say this but these little axles are “cute”. Here is a picture of the Kingpin next to the thumb of a 7 year old.

[ image disabled ]

We pulled the diffs apart. These are different than any dana diff. You have to pull the whole thing apart to get to the side gears. As you can see in this picture the side and spider gears are housed in the bolted together carrier.

[ image disabled ]

Had some help.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

I hope I can get all this back together.

[ image disabled ]

What the sammy people say is you weld up the side gears like this. I’ve got 20 hp so I’m not worried.

[ image disabled ]

Both axles are done. Will get the tabs welded onto the frame this weekend and rolling this weekend. Possibly the drivetrain as well.

Matt

gogogadgetbiker
Tue Feb 24 2009, 10:04PM

Registered Member #33
I am building a similar rig for my 10 year old son. Only single seater, honda motor, yota axles, and 36" Iroks. Looking good man, your boys will love it for sure.

2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2 SFA
HP D60 front, 5:13's,Chevy brakes, ARB, 35 spline hubs, rotated
GM 14B FF rear 5:13's, Disk, Detroit, 3/8" diff cover
Alcan Waggie 4" front springs and ZR2 4" rear springs
Highsteer/crossover steering, PSC Box
42" IROKs, Eaton 32 Bolt Beadlocks
High Angle Driveshafts
Custom T-case
Hadfield4wd
Wed Feb 25 2009, 08:03AM

Registered Member #43
That'll be sweet. My top speed should be about 20mph. Which is good for these guys. I should also have enough gear to go to bigger tires once they get comfortable with it.

Matt

rockcity
Wed Feb 25 2009, 11:23AM

Registered Member #21
sweet.

what CVT are you using (from what polaris?) what springs and weights are you using on the CVT?

www.ECORS.com
Hadfield4wd
Wed Feb 25 2009, 03:39PM

Registered Member #43
I'm not exactly sure. How's that for an answer. I have a buddy up north helping with all that stuff, he used to race snowmobiles. He sent me the drive and told me what driven to get. Anyway I think it's a P85 and I know it's an 077 belt. The weights and spring we'll have to figure once it gets running as I'll be less hp and rpm than the original motor.

Matt

Chad_ECU
Thu Feb 26 2009, 10:11PM

Registered Member #208
Cool!

04 Disco II HSE
2.5 ton buggy build under way
2 dogs and a woman
rockcity
Mon Mar 02 2009, 07:41AM

Registered Member #21
I think I do have a Polaris CVT that has been modified for small HP engines if you want to take a look at it

www.ECORS.com
Hadfield4wd
Wed Mar 04 2009, 10:51PM

Registered Member #43
rockcity wrote ...

I think I do have a Polaris CVT that has been modified for small HP engines if you want to take a look at it

Let me see what my machinist can do. And I'll let you know. Thanks.

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Sun Mar 08 2009, 03:17PM

Registered Member #43
Well not all goes as planned. I’ve been travelling a ton for work and with the kids activities and the honey-do list not a lot has been accomplished.

Anyway, I have the rear tacked in. The front is sitting where it needs to for ride height. It seems very high and short. We’ll see how it goes. The wheelbase is 60”. I want to keep the leaves for cost savings and I want to keep it shorter than 102” so it will go sideways on the trailer. If I need more wheelbase I’ll have to go links.

Here are some pictures.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Tue Mar 24 2009, 03:57PM

Registered Member #43
Well haven’t done much visually, however progress continues. I changed up the rear shackle mounts. And the front is all tacked in.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

The motor is rebuilt and good to go.

All the drivetrain parts are at the machine shop so they all fit where they are supposed to. I’ll provide details with pictures when I have them back.

All the steering parts should be here in the next couple of weeks. Just need the orbital now. I’ll provide details to this setup when it’s here.

Once the drivetrain is in I can mock up the seats then get to work on the cage.

Matt

mcjeep
Wed Mar 25 2009, 12:23PM
NCK Member

Registered Member #14
Just a thought, If you can find a older honda goldwing they are shaft driven motors and you could mate that to tha sami t-case and be done with it. or do like I plan on doing and find an old shaft drive atv and extend tha drive shafts th length. Just a thought.
Hadfield4wd
Wed Mar 25 2009, 03:21PM

Registered Member #43
mcjeep wrote ...

Just a thought, If you can find a older honda goldwing they are shaft driven motors and you could mate that to tha sami t-case and be done with it. or do like I plan on doing and find an old shaft drive atv and extend tha drive shafts th length. Just a thought.

I am using a new shaft drive 4x4 ATV tranny. The splines for the tranny are being mated to the sammy flanges for the sammy driveshafts.

Matt

mcjeep
Wed Mar 25 2009, 04:01PM
NCK Member

Registered Member #14
Oh, cool deal. My idea was on the lines of a baby moon buggy.
Hadfield4wd
Sat Mar 28 2009, 12:25PM

Registered Member #43
Also the Goldwings that do have reverse are just a starter motor running backwards, it won't have the power to back up something.

Keep the ideas coming, I am by no means an authority on this stuff. Just learning as I go.

Matt

mcjeep
Sat Mar 28 2009, 11:34PM
NCK Member

Registered Member #14
If you have ever seen a lawn tractor setup for pulling. They run some sort of shaft drive mc engine that is mated to a muncey 4 speed. and anarrowed 9" They are some nasty little rigs. they use the mc clutch to shift the 4 speed. so they have the gearing of the mc motor as well as the gearing of the tranny.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF