NCKrawlers :: Forums :: NCK Tech Forums :: General Tech

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
4WD problems..?
Moderators: Administrator, NC-Fordguy, KrawlinYJ
Author Post
XJ_Hunter07
Sun Jun 08 2008, 10:17PM

Registered Member #182
What's up guys? Well I was cleanin up the interior tonight, and moved it to 4wh to clean around the handle, and when I left it was still in 4wd (no big deal I lived 5min down the road and its a dirt road at a buddies place). Well I had to make a U-turn, and when Im fully cranked/almost fully cranked to the left or right and I start to accelerate, it almost doesnt move. When it finally does after more gas is given, it starts to 'hop' or 'skip' like the front is lockin up or something (almost feels like it has a locker in it given its jerky motion).

What do yall think it is? My d30 upfront, t-case?? Anything to help me start lookin would be great. Thanks.

[ Edited Sun Jun 08 2008, 10:25PM ]

92' XJ - Silver Bullet 2.0
NC-Fordguy
Sun Jun 08 2008, 10:32PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2
does it do it in rear wheel drive???

No Hablos Jeep

If it doesn't make sense, do it
rockcity
Mon Jun 09 2008, 10:55AM

Registered Member #21
sounds like your front axle joints are binding up real bad. adjust your wheel stops out to limit your steering to keep from binding them up, if not you'll break your front joints and/or axle...

www.ECORS.com
XJ_Hunter07
Mon Jun 09 2008, 11:48AM

Registered Member #182
NC-Fordguy wrote ...

It does fine in two wheel drive. Seems to only happen on 4WH. I havet gotten a chance to check it in 4WL, but I imagine it's about the same..

[ Edited Mon Jun 09 2008, 11:48AM ]

rockcity
Mon Jun 09 2008, 02:26PM

Registered Member #21
XJ_Hunter07 wrote ...

NC-Fordguy wrote ...

It does fine in two wheel drive. Seems to only happen on 4WH. I havet gotten a chance to check it in 4WL, but I imagine it's about the same..

This makes me think more and more that it is the joints binding up.

I'm assuming it does just fine straight and at moderate turns. At very sharp turns it does it really bad and gets better the less sharp you turn? It should happen both left and right and will not/should not do it in 2WD, only in 4wdl and 4wdh.

It is possible that the lugs of your tires are hitting on something. It happened in my CJ a lot on my leaf springs, but you don't have any to worry about on the front of the XJ. Chances are its your joints, IMO

www.ECORS.com
XJ_Hunter07
Mon Jun 09 2008, 02:37PM

Registered Member #182
[quote]

This makes me think more and more that it is the joints binding up.

I'm assuming it does just fine straight and at moderate turns. At very sharp turns it does it really bad and gets better the less sharp you turn? It should happen both left and right and will not/should not do it in 2WD, only in 4wdl and 4wdh.

It is possible that the lugs of your tires are hitting on something. It happened in my CJ a lot on my leaf springs, but you don't have any to worry about on the front of the XJ. Chances are its your joints, IMO
[/quote1213036357]

Yea, everything works just fine in straight line 2wd and/or 4wd, same as moderate turns. It only seems to bind when Im at a complete stop, making a sharp turn either way.

As far as my tires hitting anything I know thats not the case. This is a completly stock XJ with nothing dont to it at all. Which is why I want to find and correct this problem before I start putting on the lift and tires.

What is the fix for this? Just new joints?

[ Edited Mon Jun 09 2008, 02:37PM ]

GusaGus
Mon Jun 09 2008, 09:48PM
Registered Member #13
sort of sounds like there is no problem. if your on even flat/firm ground in four wheel drive and you turn sharp is goign to bind a little. for that matter that's how i do a quick check to see if four wheel drive is working.
gogogadgetbiker
Tue Jun 10 2008, 12:34PM

Registered Member #33
GusaGus wrote ...

sort of sounds like there is no problem. if your on even flat/firm ground in four wheel drive and you turn sharp is goign to bind a little. for that matter that's how i do a quick check to see if four wheel drive is working.

I agree, there could be no problem at all. Check the joints for slop/cracks and grease everything underneath. Cherokee's are a bit creeky to begin with.

2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2 SFA
HP D60 front, 5:13's,Chevy brakes, ARB, 35 spline hubs, rotated
GM 14B FF rear 5:13's, Disk, Detroit, 3/8" diff cover
Alcan Waggie 4" front springs and ZR2 4" rear springs
Highsteer/crossover steering, PSC Box
42" IROKs, Eaton 32 Bolt Beadlocks
High Angle Driveshafts
Custom T-case
jeeptruck
Thu Jun 12 2008, 11:03AM

Registered Member #176
Sounds like the front steering stops need to be adjusted out to limit you 'sharp' turns. This is what 'rockcity' is describing, the joints 'bind up' when turned too far. Some people like to leave them in further than they should be to allow for shaper turns when not in 4wd and just do not turn the steering wheel all the way when in 4wd. Check a haynes manual on how to adjust this.
rockcity
Thu Jun 12 2008, 05:32PM

Registered Member #21
jeeptruck wrote ...

Sounds like the front steering stops need to be adjusted out to limit you 'sharp' turns. This is what 'rockcity' is describing, the joints 'bind up' when turned too far. Some people like to leave them in further than they should be to allow for shaper turns when not in 4wd and just do not turn the steering wheel all the way when in 4wd. Check a haynes manual on how to adjust this.

Exactly. Just adjust the steering stops out to limit how sharp you turn to prevent the problem from hapening. Or, leave it as is and just be conscious of it while in 4WD so you don't turn too far and pop a joint or shaft while wheeling...

www.ECORS.com
XJ_Hunter07
Thu Jun 12 2008, 06:48PM

Registered Member #182
Thanks guys. I will check into adjusting the stops.

I did found that my passenger front wheel bearing is prob. needing to be replaced. So Im going to do that this weekend as well as adjusting the stops. I'll let you know how things go for it.

Among other things, Ive found a couple oil leaks that need to be taken care of as well. Rear main is pretty bad, and the rear seal around the yoke (the one that I caught up on Daniel Sunday) is leakin a bit too. Ill prob take care of the rear main sometime soon though, but wont worry about the yoke till I need to or till I get an SYE.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF