<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
XJ Build
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Administrator, NC-Fordguy, KrawlinYJ
Author Post
Hadfield4wd
Sun Apr 15 2007, 02:43PM

Registered Member #43
I've wheeled with Kenny, Jon and Dave in Tellico. I busted at Crozet in Oct when you were there. Anyway here is the result of the carnage.

Specs were

D30 vac disconnect
D35 locked
33's
3.73 gearing
4.5 RK lift.
Nothing special

Now (almost done)
HPD44 front lockright alloy usa shafts with yukon joints
9" rear spool alloy usa shafts and alloy usa spare
5.13 gears
Modified ford radius arms
bastard pack in the rear with deaver spring liner
36" tsl's
OTK steering with chevy TRE's

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Sun Apr 15 2007, 02:44PM

Registered Member #43
Here is the front with the D30 still in

[ image disabled ]
Here is what the rear will hopefully sit like. Give or take a couple of inches. those are the 36's

[ image disabled ]

Front gone
[ image disabled ]

Radius arms under construction.

[ image disabled ]
[ image disabled ]
[ image disabled ]

2.5" JJ

[ image disabled ]
Crossmember hangs down 3/4" this is a shot without the radius arm mounts on.

[ image disabled ]

Here it is with the mounts. hangs down lower than I want but oh well.

[ image disabled ]
[ image disabled ]

I've go more pictures to take so I'll post up more later.

[ Edited Sun Apr 15 2007, 02:46PM ]

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Sun Apr 15 2007, 02:46PM

Registered Member #43
Had to get a new carrier for the front axle as a result of the low gearing. Should pick it up today.

Picked up the rear driveshaft from Driveline Tech in Boones Mill. Great guy.

Should pick up my new Tie Rod Tomorrow.

Here are picks of the frame stiffeners. 3x3 3/16" angle.
[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Here is the rear all welded up and in for final mock-up. I'll pull and paint it and assemble the shafts and brakes this weekend.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Still not happy with the rear shackle position. It should be at an angle backwards. I'll see how it does after breakin.

[ image disabled ]

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Sun Apr 15 2007, 02:47PM

Registered Member #43
Got the front assembled: Wheel bearings, hubs, brakes, Tie rod, tracbar, and tires on.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Also did a ton on the rear: remove, painted, installed third member, reinstalled under jeep, installed shafts

[ image disabled ]

I'll be doning the rear braked on Tuesday and all fluid. I'll be getting the drag link retapped today as well.

I yes I know I need to clean the garage. When I drive it out I'll spend a day or so reorganizing and cleaning.

I don't think it will fit out. I'll start by letting all the air out of the tires and taking off the factory roof rack hopefully that will give me enough room.

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Sun Apr 15 2007, 02:48PM

Registered Member #43
[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

The axle is actually straight, but in this picture the tires are turned am I'm not standing centered.

Drove it. Rides good. Brakes are still spongy, but no leaks. Have some things to button up before I take it out of the neighborhood.

Fit out of the garage with 10 lbs of pressure.

Need to recheck all the fluids, torque etc.

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Sun Apr 15 2007, 02:49PM

Registered Member #43
Well drove it a bunch today to break in the gears. Didn't do too bad. Tracks pretty straight. The spool definatly pushes but not unbearable in anyway. I figure top speed is around 65 with the gears. I'll have to get used to driving without the swaybar. E-brake is hooked up. The brakes are still a little spongy. I may need to change to a larger master cylinder. I still have to rebuild the ps box and drill for hydro assist, but I'll start another thread for that.

All in all I'm very pleased and can't wait to romp on it.

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Sun Apr 15 2007, 02:50PM

Registered Member #43
Here is Kenny's reply to my thread on theother board.

"pee-J" wrote ...
WOW!!! What a difference in the rig!

The pix are great and the write up good as well.

Some things to comment on:
You mentioned that the RA mounts hung lower than you'd like. Have you considered flipping them to the top? I have a LA set up (not installed yet) that has the mounts on the top side of the x-member and still allows for max flex. That way they are tucked up out of harms way and yet still accessible if need be.

Are you thinking of rebuilding the stock steering box? I wouldn't bother... Check out the PSC boxes, I picked one up for about $220 and the dia. of the piston is 7/8" thicker (IIRC). They also have hydro-assist and full hydro boxes avail for about the same price. Huge difference even with my dinky 33's, so it will have to be MUCH better then any rebuilt for 36's.

I'd like to see more pics of the radius arms if you can. I'm curious what the ends look like and how your attach points turned out. Are you planning on cutting back the fenders? Seems like they would need major trimming with 36's I scrub like hell with 33's, even AFTER i trimmed up a good couple inches.

By the way, we are dropping this site in a few days. You should sign up on our new site because all the posts will be gone and have to start from scratch. Not sure when the next time I'll be wheeling, just got into grad school and will be going the accelerated route getting an MBA in a year.

If your ever down this way, holler...

Matt

toyzilla
Sun Apr 15 2007, 03:39PM
Moderater

Registered Member #12
should be able to get up upper 2 now

looks good. i'm headed to crozet this may 13th, come join us

john

"take it to the eXtreme"

93 Toyota Custom Built Tube Buggy Rock Crawler
4-link F&R, 36" TSL tires, 12k winch, Fox Shox, lock & loaded, dual cases, beadlocks , New Dirty 30 Front Axles
Check Out My Rig and Trail Rides. My photo's
scimpressions.com
pee-J
Sun Apr 15 2007, 04:07PM

Registered Member #24
Ha ha.. moved my reply but ddin't respond! It's lookin great, I need to find out about your gas tank skid. just realized my tank has a football sized dent in the middle of it.

95 XJ 4.0HO>AW-4>NP241"Roc-Trac." Rough Country 6.5" on 33's. Warn M8000, locked and armored up but (was) driven daily.
Hadfield4wd
Mon Apr 16 2007, 08:16AM

Registered Member #43
pee-J wrote ...

Ha ha.. moved my reply but ddin't respond! It's lookin great, I need to find out about your gas tank skid. just realized my tank has a football sized dent in the middle of it.

didn't have time to take the pics. I'll take pics of the skid as well. It will be this afternoon.

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Mon Apr 16 2007, 08:18AM

Registered Member #43
toyzilla wrote ...

should be able to get up upper 2 now

looks good. i'm headed to crozet this may 13th, come join us

john

You do realize that's mothersday weekend?!? I can't do that. Plus my nephew is being dedicated that weekend in Richmond.

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Mon Apr 16 2007, 11:16AM

Registered Member #43
Hadfield4wd wrote ...

Here is Kenny's reply to my thread on theother board.

"pee-J" wrote ...
WOW!!! What a difference in the rig!

The pix are great and the write up good as well.

Some things to comment on:
You mentioned that the RA mounts hung lower than you'd like. Have you considered flipping them to the top? I have a LA set up (not installed yet) that has the mounts on the top side of the x-member and still allows for max flex. That way they are tucked up out of harms way and yet still accessible if need be.

Are you thinking of rebuilding the stock steering box? I wouldn't bother... Check out the PSC boxes, I picked one up for about $220 and the dia. of the piston is 7/8" thicker (IIRC). They also have hydro-assist and full hydro boxes avail for about the same price. Huge difference even with my dinky 33's, so it will have to be MUCH better then any rebuilt for 36's.

I'd like to see more pics of the radius arms if you can. I'm curious what the ends look like and how your attach points turned out. Are you planning on cutting back the fenders? Seems like they would need major trimming with 36's I scrub like hell with 33's, even AFTER i trimmed up a good couple inches.

By the way, we are dropping this site in a few days. You should sign up on our new site because all the posts will be gone and have to start from scratch. Not sure when the next time I'll be wheeling, just got into grad school and will be going the accelerated route getting an MBA in a year.

If your ever down this way, holler...

Here are your answers. I can't flip them. As a result of being full width and using the Ford Radiius Arms (modified/lengthened) The will hit the "frame".

Here is a pic.

[ image disabled ]

I'd have to double bend it and that is 1.75" solid stock sleeved on the radius arms. It hangs downs not lower than my previous skids did. I'll just drive accordingly.

Here are some more pics of the attach on the CM. It is the standard ford on the axle side with 7 deg bushings from James Duff.

There are 3 additional grade 8 bolts holding the skid on each side in addition to the stock CM bolts. There are tabs on the frame stiffeners that locate the CM in the same position as to not have the bolts in a sheer situation.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Yes I still need to do the skids.

The ends are pcitured above. They are drilled and tapped for the 2.5 JJ.

I'll cut the fronts anyway I need to. The rear is cut all the way without getting into the unibody so I'll do that when the cage happens next year. I'll bumpstop for now.

The steering box by PSC is just a Durango box. And the hydro assist is a Cherokee box drilled and tapped. I can do this myself for far less money than PSC. The rebuild kit was $33. The fittings for the hydro assist ar less than $10. The idea is to get the stress off the frame and hydro assist will accomplish this.

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Mon Apr 16 2007, 03:45PM

Registered Member #43
Here is the gas tank skid. I ended up with a 10 gallon gas tank and finished this up the night before we left for Tellico last year. It will support the weight of the XJ. It is bent 1/4" reinforced on the bottom outside edges with angle. It's way overkill, but I don't need to worry about the new gas tank anymore. Also the piece that comes up to the bumper is bolted onto tabs that are welded and tapped ont he bumper. The hitch is also way up. The clearance is great and was easy to build. Had everything laying around. I bent the 1/4" but cutting a groove half way through then beat it with a BFH until I got the desired angle then welded where I had scored it. It's heavy but does the job. Yes I know I need to cut off all the bolts on the rear suspension.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Matt

pee-J
Tue Apr 17 2007, 02:34AM

Registered Member #24
"Hadfield4wd" wrote ...

I bent the 1/4" but cutting a groove half way through then beat it with a BFH until I got the desired angle

My favorite line of the whole writeup.

95 XJ 4.0HO>AW-4>NP241"Roc-Trac." Rough Country 6.5" on 33's. Warn M8000, locked and armored up but (was) driven daily.
Hadfield4wd
Tue Apr 17 2007, 06:46AM

Registered Member #43
What long arms did you get?

Matt

pee-J
Tue Apr 17 2007, 10:02AM

Registered Member #24
I don't have the arms yet but they will most likely be custom boty fab brand. haha. The CM I got was custom and includes two hoops off of it with plating to cover the t-case and trans. I've just run out of $$ for the arms since having a couple consecutive bad commission months and will now be going to grad school...

Hadfield4wd
Tue Apr 24 2007, 09:28AM

Registered Member #43
Well did a shakedown cruise at a friends’ farm (Thanks Josh). Brought my cameraman so there was no shortage of flex. (Thanks Steve) Wanted to check flex and see what needed changed/improved. Over all I was very happy with the flex.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Had some clearance issues that the careful use of a BFH solved that problem. Didn’t want to cut a tire.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Also had some damage I’ll post up later.

Matt

pee-J
Tue Apr 24 2007, 11:03AM

Registered Member #24
them wheel wells seems pretty small. You may need a BIGGER FH. Nice flex though.

Hadfield4wd
Tue Apr 24 2007, 08:44PM

Registered Member #43
It's perfect now.

Matt

Hadfield4wd
Tue Apr 24 2007, 08:45PM

Registered Member #43
Here is the hill climb.

Never did make it up. It was wet under the leaves and enough off camber when the tires spun went into the trees on the right.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Time for a winch.

Damage that occurred. Bashed the door, the rear quarter some more, bent the bumper and broke the rear window.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Now that I look at this one it looks like Josh pushed the tree into the door.
[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

You can see where the knot on the tree hit.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Already bought the plexi for the rear window.

No pics of the bumper (yet), but it’ll have to be fixed before the tire carrier goes on.

Matt

pee-J
Tue Apr 24 2007, 10:12PM

Registered Member #24
how'd ya manage to bust the back glass?

toyzilla
Wed Apr 25 2007, 07:45AM
Moderater

Registered Member #12
pee-J wrote ...

how'd ya manage to bust the back glass?

you need windows like kenny, his are unbreakable, i've seen it

"take it to the eXtreme"

93 Toyota Custom Built Tube Buggy Rock Crawler
4-link F&R, 36" TSL tires, 12k winch, Fox Shox, lock & loaded, dual cases, beadlocks , New Dirty 30 Front Axles
Check Out My Rig and Trail Rides. My photo's
scimpressions.com
Bridgman
Wed Apr 25 2007, 08:21AM

Registered Member #20
wow ive broke mine too

only time will tell
Hadfield4wd
Wed Apr 25 2007, 09:36AM

Registered Member #43
The last shot up I just punched and got up to the top of where the tree is where Josh is leaning against. Then went back into it. There was a knot inthe tree that popped it. The plexy is in now.

Matt

gogogadgetbiker
Wed Apr 25 2007, 10:51AM

Registered Member #33
I like it, looking good

2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2 SFA
HP D60 front, 5:13's,Chevy brakes, ARB, 35 spline hubs, rotated
GM 14B FF rear 5:13's, Disk, Detroit, 3/8" diff cover
Alcan Waggie 4" front springs and ZR2 4" rear springs
Highsteer/crossover steering, PSC Box
42" IROKs, Eaton 32 Bolt Beadlocks
High Angle Driveshafts
Custom T-case
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF