NCKrawlers :: Forums :: NCK Tech Forums :: Pimp my 4x4

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Rob's buggy project...
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Administrator, NC-Fordguy, KrawlinYJ
Author Post
Aggressive1
Wed Dec 19 2007, 08:09PM
Man, 3 months since I've checked the board and still no pics. Glad you hear the project is moving along though.
rockcity
Thu Dec 20 2007, 12:19PM

Registered Member #21
I just got a digi camera for Bri for Christmas so I know I'll be able to post some pics after Christmas.

www.ECORS.com
gogogadgetbiker
Thu Dec 20 2007, 07:39PM

Registered Member #33
No kidding, I think your might be making up this whole "working on the buggy" thing.

Just kidding....
But seriously sooth my eyes with some buggy pics.

2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2 SFA
HP D60 front, 5:13's,Chevy brakes, ARB, 35 spline hubs, rotated
GM 14B FF rear 5:13's, Disk, Detroit, 3/8" diff cover
Alcan Waggie 4" front springs and ZR2 4" rear springs
Highsteer/crossover steering, PSC Box
42" IROKs, Eaton 32 Bolt Beadlocks
High Angle Driveshafts
Custom T-case
rockcity
Thu Dec 20 2007, 10:14PM

Registered Member #21
pics will have to wait until after christmas as the new digi camera for Bri is now wrapped...

I got some more done tonight. Made some brackets to hold the propane tanks in place. They are heavy duty and maybe overkill, but at least I know they'll hold....

Friday night is another work night. I got the 302 installed. I'm waiting on a 4bbl intake for the 302 to come in from eBay. Once that comes in, I can get the propane stuff setup and work on getting the 302 running.

For some reason I'm having trouble getting the T18 to shift properly, so I"m getting the mechanic at work to take a look at it.

The D300 is still in parts as I'm waiting on more parts for the 32 spline output shafts...

www.ECORS.com
rockcity
Tue Jan 01 2008, 06:21PM

Registered Member #21
got some more little odds and ends done last night and today. Finally got the radiator completely mounted this afternoon. Clearance is close as its only about 1.5" from my upper links at full compression.

Decided not to use the propane brackets I made and just ordered some forklift style brackets.

I also ordered some other misc. parts, like brake master cylinders and some other items I can't think of.

I'm working on getting some pics.

www.ECORS.com
gogogadgetbiker
Tue Jan 01 2008, 07:19PM

Registered Member #33
pics

2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2 SFA
High Angle Driveshafts
Custom T-case
rockcity
Tue Jan 01 2008, 10:38PM

Registered Member #21
Radiator finally mounted

[ image disabled ]
Clearance between upper links and radiator

[ image disabled ]
rear steering Dana 70 with D60 outters

[ image disabled ]
mock up 302 installed temporairly to get things rolling until I can get the time to rebuild the 351W

[ image disabled ]

www.ECORS.com
rockcity
Tue Jan 01 2008, 10:40PM

Registered Member #21
I still need to clean up some of the tube where I cut off old tube...

I think I'm changing the front winch plate as I don't really like how this one is and it is very messy/sloppy.

www.ECORS.com
gogogadgetbiker
Wed Jan 02 2008, 11:26AM

Registered Member #33
What did yo use to press the D60 C's on?

It looks to me like you have them pressed on about 1/8" too much. Could be the pic messing with me though.

Glad to see it making progress!

2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2 SFA
High Angle Driveshafts
Custom T-case
rockcity
Wed Jan 02 2008, 11:32AM

Registered Member #21
I didn't press them on. I heated them and slid them on the axle. A little fine tuning with the hammer and they were set.

They are set exactly where I wanted them. I left the tube a little long incase I wanted to adjust the location during install. I will be turning the welder up HOT and burn in the extra tube sticking out too far when I weld the inside. I already put the hot (root) pass on the inner Cs, I'm waiting to do the cap until I tear everything off for paint.

www.ECORS.com
rockcity
Wed Jan 09 2008, 03:43PM

Registered Member #21
A little more progress...

Installed the new intake manifold for the 302. Started installing the Impco 425 but noticed I'll need at least a 1" spacer. Ordered one and it is on the way. So, waiting on that.

Ordered and received my propane tank brackets. I'm working on getting those mounted this week so I can start plumbing the propane hose.

Also the new bearings for the D300 were shipped along with some new seals and new shifter rails. Gawd those are a PITA to remove!!!

Transmission should be finished getting worked over by Monday, so that should be good and ready to put in. The flywheel will be resurfaced on Friday and the new clutch should be in by Monday as well.

I should also have the dual master cylinder by this weekend as well, so I can work on getting that installed. I'm working on the driver's floorboard where all of my pedals mount. I've got to finish that before I can mount the brake pedal and know my clearance for the clutch. I'm doing a hydraulic clutch so there is no mechanical linkage to fawk with. Looking for a reasonable 7/8" bore master cylinder and slave cylinder for that setup.

I ordered some 16ga aluminum to fabricate a shroud for the electric fan and radiator. I should have the aluminum by Monday, maybe Wed. or so. Just depends on the delivery by BMG for some of the other steel that we ordered for work...

Looks like I have my work cut out for me for the next week or 2.

Orbital should be here within a week as well. Its non load reactive, but it was $55 shipped, so I figured it was a good start to get the buggy up and going

Now I just need to find a reasonably priced rebuild kit for the Impco 425

www.ECORS.com
mcjeep
Wed Jan 09 2008, 04:28PM
NCK Member

Registered Member #14
Dude I have an obital valve in a box in my shed I could of hooked you up with if I'd known you needed one.
rockcity
Wed Jan 09 2008, 04:30PM

Registered Member #21
Mike, I will need an orbita. The guy I was getting it from sent me a PM on Pirate saying he sold it to someone else for more $$$... argh.

what ya got?

www.ECORS.com
rockcity
Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:01PM

Registered Member #21
OK, well now I can add the cutting brake to the list of items on the way for install.

lotta talk, I gotta get working...

www.ECORS.com
rockcity
Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:06AM

Registered Member #21
Ah, got a lot of items in the mail...

I now have all of my yokes to make the drivehsafts, both front and rear. I will be making the front shaft first as I have no rear axles, so to get the buggy rolling, it will be in front wheel drive.

I also am waiting on a twin stick to come in. I was going to make my own, but for $65 on eBay, its not worth it.

I finally got the JB Conversions bearing for the front output on the D300. The shifter rails are gawded up and bent from the previous owner, so I'm looking for some new ones. The "pills" are not good and I'd like to put some new ones in. If I don't get any when its time to put the TC back to gether, I'll go without. That will give me the option of running front Low and rear high and vice versa. This would be a problem if I drove it on the road in 4x4, but I shouldn't be. This setup will be interesting to get used to as it may be helpful for front/rear digs without the brakes. We'll see what happens

The transmission is ready to be put back in. Just need a clutch kit for it.

I did get the brake pedal and wilwood master cylinders last night, so I can start working on fabicating that along with the cutting brake. I also received the throttle cable. The carb spacer I bought from eBay was way too small, so I'm waiting on a new one to come in so I can start getting the mixer installed and the throttle cable installed and gas pedal fabricated.

Last night I bent some 1.25" tube for the rest of the propane tank mounts. Tonight I'm hoping ot get the tube installed and the propane tank brackets welded down.

More later...

[ Edited Wed Jan 16 2008, 11:57AM ]

www.ECORS.com
biggy
Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:33AM

Registered Member #11
I've got an extra set of rails and pills for the 300...

it's a '51...it's just been modified some
rockcity
Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:36AM

Registered Member #21
pm sent

www.ECORS.com
rockcity
Sat Jan 26 2008, 10:39PM

Registered Member #21
got a lot of parts in and on the way.

tonight was busy. Installed my resurfaced flywheel and had a hell of a time getting the bolts started as it felt like some of the threads were gauded up.

got a new spacer for the propane carb and cleaned it up and installed it. started cleaning up the propane carb and found out I need to rebuild the holley base plate assembly...

While Bri was working on some of her school work, I got a chance to sneak off to the parts store. Stopped at HF and Advance. Came back with a new 3000 lb winch for the rear, some new gaskets, a couple set of hood pins and some misc. other items.

Once Bri left to work night shift at PCMH, I unopened the winch and started playing wiht it. It came with a wireless remote which, at first seems good, but it has a problem stopping when I press the button. So, I took the wireless part off of it and will wire it into a toggle switch on the dash. I took all the brackets off of it and fabricated a mount plate for the rear and welded it up. The rear winch is installed.

Seabass on Pirate has some nice switch panels, but after looking at the price I about crapped. So, while at Overton's I found the exact same thing I was looking for, and at only $40, it was the ticket. It even included waterproof circuit resets. Also picked up a battery cut-off.

Push button start came in today as well

Last week I drew a battery box in AutoCAD and had our shop laser cut it out. Yesterday I bent it up at the shop and now its ready for install. I also got a nice "Jeep" grill laser cut at our shop out of some high polished stainless. That will be installed last so it doesn't get messed up

Tomorrow should be more productive. Plans for tomorrow are: bend some 1.25" tube for the rear to protect and support the winch, install the side body panels/skid plate, make cardboard templates for the firewall and pass/driver floor, mount battery bracket, modify hood and install hood pins

I'm waiting on the T18 to get back from my mechanic at work before I can install it. Monday will be dedicated to finishing up the Dana 300 so it can be installed. Once installed, the rear driveshaft can be fabricated as well as the front.

Next week, hopefully, will consist of fabricating a fan shroud as well as the entire dash area and the floor boards

www.ECORS.com
gogogadgetbiker
Sat Jan 26 2008, 10:48PM

Registered Member #33
Sounds like your making killer progress Rob.. Good Luck my friend.

2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2 SFA
High Angle Driveshafts
Custom T-case
rockcity
Sat Jan 26 2008, 10:53PM

Registered Member #21
good luck on yours too

www.ECORS.com
rockcity
Sat Jan 26 2008, 11:02PM

Registered Member #21
Ah, I almost forgot. I ended up getting a fuse panel and 200amp solenoid from 12Volt guy (Seabass on Pirate) so I can start working on some wiring once the dash is fabricated. Also got most of my gauges in as well. I'm looking for a decent/cheap CD player so I can have some tunes in the buggy...

www.ECORS.com
pee-J
Sun Jan 27 2008, 01:59PM

Registered Member #24
Damn Rob, sounds like you ARE making some prgress after all.. So ya think it'll be ready to go under it's own power by the summer? I'd like to actually see the thing move before I do.

95 XJ 4.0HO>AW-4>NP241"Roc-Trac." Rough Country 6.5" on 33's. Warn M8000, locked and armored up but (was) driven daily.
biggy
Sun Jan 27 2008, 08:25PM

Registered Member #11
just glad I could help.... (Rob stopped by for a "quick" ride in mine the other day) "motivation in motion"

it's a '51...it's just been modified some
rockcity
Sun Jan 27 2008, 09:04PM

Registered Member #21
yeah biggy, I think that was the most help I've gotten since I started it. Nothing to get ya on the right track than a ride in a lt1 powered buggy!!! Sweet.

Today was a family day so I didn't get much done. I forgot about it last night, oops.

I did get the shifter rails and pills pulled from another D300 (thanks biggy). I also spent a few minutes welding up the front spider gears. I think I used about 5lbs of rods. We'll see how well it holds...

Thats all I got done today. Bri works the next 3 nights at the hospital, so I'll be working on it the next 3 nights. Tomorrow will be dedicated to getting the D300 put back together so I don't forget where all the parts go.

www.ECORS.com
ord.sgt.26NC
Mon Jan 28 2008, 05:54AM
Registered Member #23
Rob,don't use a cd player man,it'll just skip on the trail.You can use a mp3 player and with a boxed set of speakers and a cheapee booster from wally world,you can have some thumpin tunes.I do that in both my tj and the willys.It's removable also.Greg is doing it too.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF